And the adventure continues .....
This is the greatest adventure I'm having in the the land of USA. As you guys rightly guessed it, today was my planned trip to the Social security office and I was hoping if things work out there I can go to the DMV to get the permit atleast. So read along
Reached the social security office in the afternoon and there was a looooooongg queue there. I have observed that the people in the govt offices here are very much hostile as is in all the places. I've got this impression after visits to various offices on my credit. But this time around, the fat lady sitting on the bureaucratical chair seemed to be very much helpful. Maybe, since it was christmas holidays she is in a really good mood. Not really, The behavior and the smile told me that she is a good person. Now after going through the case, she started developing a head ache. I told her that my situation was rather tough and this was my 3rd visit to that place. I dont know what happened, she turned out to be the first person who turned out to be someone who could take up responsibility. All others sitting in the offices, doesnt know how exactly things work, nor are they bothered to learn about it. Anyway, she gave me a letter which I could carry to the DMV to get the things done (Little did she know what was in store at DMV).
I reached the DMV. There was this guy who now knew 0% about what I was talking about. He just knew what to enter onto his system and if the system prints out something he could print it out. He told me something about some electronic confirmation from the social security office that is supposed to happen after 48 hours. I knew that there was nothing that was going to come out from the social security office even after 48 years. Now he sent me back. I hoped maybe I should go to a different officer. I stood on the queue again after noting that this guy was not there on his chair. But my luck turned out to be so that, When it was my turn the guy came back again. Needless to say, I was sent back again. This time, I went to the appointment queue and took an appointment. The third time, I was lucky a bit, I got the lady next to this guy. I just ignored him and I was talking to her. After so many tweaking around here and there, She did it. In between the earlier guy was muttering something which both of us ignored. She issued me the Permit. Alhamdulillah, I knew atlast I got me recognized on their system. Now what, dont miss the chance, I went back and took another form and applied for the State id too, because I never know what is going to happen next time. So todays adventure turned out to be pretty ok.
Now a very simple question, What did the guy talk about an electronic confimation and his inability to accept the written letter from the social security office, while the lady simply accepted it? Also I wonder why the rules and regulations are inconsistent in the same office at two different counters. Please somebody let me know the answer. Is there a single person in this land who knows how the whole system works.

4 Comments:
And here I thought the US governmental agencies were slick, polished and perfect... Oh well. Out here, a few Rs. here and there will lubricate the system so well that things will just magically happen. :)
Well, In India we have a system to do the things, and if there is something that cannot be done with the system, there is money to get over it. Ultimately there is a way to do it. Here it is either there is a way or there isnt. Completely depends on your luck.
Not bad :) Though the confirmation is when the data gets update throughout the country once your info gets entered into the social security DB, the process roughly takes 48 hours.
Best of luck with the stuff and wishing you a happy new year.!!
-NY
Yes, the 48 hour update will happen only if there is a change in the social security data base. But the lady at SS told me she is not going to update any of my records, since everything is correct in the database :-), So what the heck????
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home